The works will focus on the front of the building to make it much more welcoming and attractive both externally and internally by revealing its magnificent architectural features.
The work will involve the following elements:
- Exposing the arched vaulted ceilings at the front of the building. These were originally open when the market house was built back 1844, but over time have been hidden by modern installations of suspended ceilings and partitions.
- Replacement of the front doors and windows to improve light, visibility into the building and weather proofing.
- Essential repairs to rainwater goods and repairs of damp damage in key areas of the building.
- We are working with local students from Cornwall College to design a new, improved external sign.
- In addition and in partnership with the THS, St Austell Bay Economic Forum (SABEF) and local artists, potters and ceramicists, 3 new ceramic planters will sit in the restored window recesses, designed in keeping with the look and feel of the building and its surroundings.
Follow progress as works starts soon and join us on a journey to breath life back into this amazing building in the heritage quarter of St Austell.